It goes without saying, that we are all going a little stir crazy right now. We are all stuck at home during these frightening times with the spread of COVID-19. Some areas have stricter restrictions than others, but most places have heard the recommended term, “social distancing.” What does this have to do with today’s blog? I will be teaching you how to decarboxylate or “decarb” your weed and make the perfect homemade cannabutter. I can not think of anything better than cooking and eating cannabis infused edibles during isolation.
So you might be asking, what the hell does ‘decarb your weed’ mean? Decarboxylation is the process of heating your cannabis buds in order to actively release the psychoactive agents of the flower. The cannabis buds produce a cannabinoid called THCA. When heated up, THCA converts into THC, thus giving you a more euphorically intoxicating effect. Skipping this step in the infusion process will only leave your cannabis food tasting weak and unimpressive.
Next, we need to gather all our ingredients and let the decarbing begin! In order to make about 1 cup of cannabutter, you will also need about 1 cup of cannabis flower. I have learned that depending on the buds and your preference of strength, this can be anywhere between 7-10 grams. You can also exchange the butter to make cannaoil by using 1 cup of olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or any other fatty oil of your choice. You will also need your basic baking dish, parchment paper, jar, funnel, grinder, and cheese-cloth. Ready to begin?
How-To Make Homemade Cannabutter
1 cup butter
1 cup cannabis flower (7-10g)
- DECARB your weed by preheating your oven to 245 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your cannabis flower on your parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes lightly shaking buds around every 10 minutes to allow for even decarboxylation.
- GRIND your decarboxylated weed with a grinder until fine.
- MELT the butter in a saucepan by simmering on low with 1 cup of water plus 1 cup of butter. The water will allow for the temperature to regulate and not burn the butter.
- ADD in your finely ground cannabis as your butter begins to melt.
- MAINTAIN low heat by simmering for about 2-3 hours stirring occasionally. Do not let butter come to a boil. Ideally keep above 160 degrees Fahrenheit but never above 200.
- STRAIN the cannabutter by placing a funnel on top of a jar and line the funnel with cheese cloth. Once the cannabutter is cool enough to handle, pour it through the cheese cloth-lined funnel and allow the cannabutter to strain freely. Do not force or squeeze your cannabutter through because this will lead to unwanted pieces of bud that will taste terrible.
- REFRIGERATE your cannabutter and enjoy! Excess water might collect in your jar, which is normal. Simply move your cannabutter once hard and allow for the water to drain through.
- DOSE CAREFULLY.
CAUTION: Accurate dosage of cannabis infused foods can be very difficult. The tolerance of every user is different and the consumer needs to be aware of the effects an edible can have before consuming. Refer to this CANNABUTTER DOSAGE CALCULATOR for help.